Rupea Fortress is one of the oldest archaeological remains in Romania, the first signs of human settlements dating from paleotic and early Neolithic (5500-3500 BC).
The first document dates from 1324, when the Saxons revolted against King Charles Robert of Hungary took refuge inside the castle, Castrum Kuholm.
Documents XV century fortress mentioned as an important trade and craft center with 12 items.
The city served over time as fortification, and refuge for the people living in the surrounding hills and valley, placing them as strategic: the road junction that connects Transylvania, Moldavia and Wallachia in south-eastern passes.
Rupea fortress erected Cohalm Hill, overlooking the upper city was built and expanded in the fourteenth and seventeenth centuries, the fortress and refuge for the surrounding villages.